Sunday, January 31, 2016

Twitter and What I Found There.

As I embarked on my Twitter crusade, it is important I think to note that I have not selected a major as of now. Therefore, for this search I have decided to search up feeds about Public Health since that is the major that I am curious about at the moment.

1. What kinds of things do people on Twitter seem to be talking about, debating, arguing about or otherwise engaging in meaningful exchanges of ideas about? Give us a descriptive and clear sense of the kinds of stories you're seeing in these Twitter feeds.

On Twitter, people seem to be exchanging about local stories such as the water crisis in Flint, Michigan and international issues of sorts like the Zika virus. The people talking about the water crisis are particularly pointing out on Michigan governor Snyder for not having prevented the eventual disaster happening in Flint right now and as for the Zika virus, many news outlets seem to be headlining this as the "virus of 2016" and is becoming an issue for women in South America who may want to have children.

2. In your opinion, what are the two most interesting conversations or stories you found in the Twitter feeds? Hyperlink us to the two different Twitter feeds and explain why you found those conversations interesting. Be specific and honest and be yourself. I don't want you to blah-blah-blah this. I want you to really engage.

bs65me "pumpkins" 05/28/13 vi pixabay
CCO public domain
The first story that caught my attention was the Department of Agriculture's new dietary guidelines. Now, this story is interesting to me because I have heard stories before of the dietary guidelines given by the government to have been tainted somewhat due to the lobbyists of companies involved with say red meat or soda pressuring them to not advise people to reduce their consumption on those things. However, it has been common that people should not consume a lot of red meat or soda because it can cause health problems in the long run.

ronymichaud, "Drops of Water" 12/28/14. via Pixabay
CCO Public Domain
One of the interesting stories I found on Twitter is the story of the water crisis in Flint, Michigan. This story has grabbed my attention because it sounds really astonishing how the officials in charge of the water supply in Flint decided to change their water source from a healthy one to a river that was undoubtedly going to endanger the health of the people of Flint, but they did it anyways all to save a few bucks. The story is more than a Public Health story, it is a story of trust between the public and the government.

3. Overall, what impression do you get of your discipline based on what you saw happening on Twitter? Were the people in these feeds talking in ways you expected or did not expect, about things you anticipated they'd be talking about or things you had no idea they'd be discussing? Explain in concise specific detail.

I got a good impression on the discipline of Public Health discussions on Twitter. I was expecting people to speak somewhat assertively on some issues going on in Public Health such as the Flint water crisis. Other things I found surprising like the Zika virus which I did not know was a big deal (I think I read someone mention on Twitter that it was this year's Ebola, which I found humorous since Ebola was mainly media propaganda). In short, the feeds related to Public Health really gave me the impression that they want to inform the internet on health issues around the globe.

No comments:

Post a Comment