Wednesday, January 20, 2016

My Writing Process

The writing method of any person can be either monotonic or be a mix of different writing styles. There can be the procrastinator who waits last minute to vomit out a paper or the sequential composer who has a step-by-step plan to get to the final writing product. Here is a little bit of a view into my writing process.

1. I would consider myself to be a hybrid of a heavy reviser and a procrastinator. When producing written content like a paper, I tend to not plan out how I am going to evolve my content beyond the first draft. So, I am a procrastinator in the sense that I usually ever only write one draft of my paper throughout my whole writing process. Then, the "heavy reviser" in me kicks in and I spend a great deal of time revising my first draft until it is polished to a final draft.

2. As mentioned before in the previous response, my writing process tends to include a bit from those of a heavy reviser and a procrastinator. My process will begin in one short session of "inspiration" where I might just throw all the ideas in my head into an initial draft of sorts (like how a heavy reviser would). Then, I'll spend a heavy amount of time sculpting the initial draft into a final draft.Typically, this heavy amount of time spent revising will be crammed into the last two days before the due date.
LoggaWiggler, "Maze Labyrinth Glendurgan Garden Cornwall". 11/08/14. via Pixabay.
CCO Public Domain

3. The writing method I have practiced for a while now has been successful for the most part. On occasion, it has not been able to excel over the desired objective I had, but it mostly meets it. Some strengths of my method would be that it pushes me creatively to come up with ideas quickly. My method also has helped me be able to edit quickly. A major weakness in my writing process is that it is not really continuous so to speak (or time efficient). Instead of working on a paper say each day, I might do one intensive session one day then the day before it's due go back to my paper. 


4. I think there would be benefits to trying a different approach. The use of a different writing method could help me point out more of the flaws in my current one. Also, it might even allow me to produce even better content than what I am able to create as of now. I believe the exposure to different writing techniques will add more tools to my toolbox of writing, and that is always a plus in my opinion. 



No comments:

Post a Comment